Our private summer camp is for youths ages 11 to 17. Our goal is to teach kids how to sail in a safe, fun environment. Campers will learn in Harvard's fleet of Collegiate FJs and 420s on the Charles River.
Our summer camp offers:
- Excellent, experienced instructors
- A small camp environment with a maximum of 20 sailors per session
- A cutting edge facility in the heart of the Metro Boston area that is accessible by T
- A unified curriculum that is designed to reach children with diverse learning needs and styles
Free sailboat rides! Have you always wanted to learn how to sail? Come for a short sail with us, meet the directors/instructors and see the facilities. We will be hosting an all ages open house on Saturday, May 18 from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Harvard Sailing Center.
We offer two comprehensive levels of instruction in small groups to ensure individualized instruction...
11 - 17 year old beginners
Mates will learn the basics of sailing both on land and on the water assuming no prior instruction.
- reading the wind
- parts of the boat and sail
- points of sail
- rigging and derigging
- tacking and gybing
- sailing upwind
- man-overboard recovery
- capsize recovery
11 - 17 year old intermediates
Ensigns will improve upon their basic skills. In addition to reviewing Mates' skills they will also learn:
- basic roll
tacking and gybing
- how to read telltales
- lifts and headers
- right of way rules
- basic racing