- When do you need my forms? Can I fax it to you? Can I bring the health form to the first class?
- Space is available on a first paid, first reserved basis. To secure a spot in the camp, the Registration form and full payment is required. Health Information form, Record of Physician's Medical Examination form and the Harvard Boating Swim Test Card must be presented by the first day of class, or participation in the camp will not be allowed.
Please email the forms to info@CrimsonSailingAcademy.com or mail all forms to:
Crimson Sailing Academy
P.O. Box 335
Belmont, MA 02478.
- What should I wear to camp each day?
Each day sailors should wear:
- Coast Guard approved life jacket
- Comfortable clothes that will protect you from the sun and can get wet
- Closed-toe, non-marking shoes such as Keens, water shoes, old sneakers (canvas sneakers such as Converse All-stars work best). No Tevas or flip-flops.
- A hat
- Rain gear (we will sail in safe, inclement weather)
- Will my child be safe?
Yes! Any sport involves some risk but CSA has many measures in place to ensure safety. Campers will initially sail with an instructor in their boat. Then they progress to sailing with peers, but in a small area circled by the instructors. In fact, as the Charles River is itself a very contained body of water, it is the perfect place to learn to sail! And of course, all campers must wear their PFDs (Personal Flotation Devices) and the director is certified in life guarding, first aid and CPR. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact the Academy Director.
- Can we provide alternate proof of swimming capabilities?
- No, all campers must take and pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test, which can only be taken at either Blodgett or Malkin Pool. The test involves swimming for 100 yards consecutively with no assistance. There is no cost to take the swim test.
- What if my child doesn't pass the swim test?
- Your child may take the swim test as many times as needed to pass. Prior to June 1st, you may receive a full refund. After June 1st, registration is not refundable as we have lost the opportunity to fill your spot.
- Is there a swim test fee?
- No, there is no cost to take the swim test.
- Does my child have to take the swim test again if he had already taken it last year?
- No, if your child has already taken the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test and passed it, you do not have to take it again. Swim test cards are valid for 5 years
- What should I bring to camp each day?
- Snacks that are portable and easy to eat (we may eat snacks on the water)
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes
- A padlock if you want to lock your valuables in a locker
- Notebook and pencil
- Where can we purchase life jackets?
- Sporting goods stores, such as REI and LLBean, that cater to water sports such as kayaking and canoeing sell life jackets. You can buy them at their stores or online. Another source for life jackets are marine supply stores, such as West Marine. There is a West Marine where I-95 and I-93 intersect in Woburn, MA. At West Marine, they have their own brand of life jackets called Runabout Vests, which are appropriate for the camp and an inexpensive option. You can also check some of the superstores, such as Target and Walmart. Sometimes the stores carry life jackets. Please call ahead to make sure they carry Coast Guard approved life jackets.
- Will you provide food?
- You need to bring a lunch - but we do have a refrigerator you can use. Also, pack some snacks that are portable and easy to eat (we may eat snacks on the water). Water is essential. Bring an unbreakable water bottle you can bring in the boat with you.
- Where can we pick up lunch near the sailing center?
- In Kendall Square on Main Street there are a bunch of delis and sandwich places.
- Will we sail in the rain?
- Yes, we will. As long as there is wind and it is safe, we will sail. We will not sail in thunderstorms or excessive winds. However, we will have class in inclement weather. We will learn and practice skills on land.
- Where should I park?
- There is a drop-off and pick-up area in front of the Sailing Center, but no reserved parking spots. If you would like to park, you need to find a spot along Memorial Drive or neighboring streets.
- Can I drop my child off before 9:00 and pick-up after 4:00?
- Yes, the Sailing Center will be opened and closed a half an hour before/after class to make things easier on parents. Doors will open at 8:30 and close at 4:30.
- Can parents come watch?
- Yes, parents may come watch from the sidewalk on Memorial Drive. The Sailing Center door will be locked when we are on the water.
- Is it ok if my child has never sailed before?
- Yes, the Mate class is specifically designed to teach beginners how to sail.
- Who should I contact with questions you didn't cover here?
- Feel free to e-mail us at info@CrimsonSailingAcademy.com and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.