We regret to inform you that we will be unable to run the clinics this summer. Due to Harvard University's continued COVID-19 response, we are not permitted to run any programs at the Harvard Sailing Center. We are sorry we won't be able to run the clinics, but we hope to have them all back on the schedule for next summer.
Thank you for your patience.
Please stay safe and healthy, and we hope to see you on the water.
- Coach Bern
The Advanced Team Racing Clinic is a clinic designed for the high school, junior sailing or college club team racer who wants to raise his/her game to a higher level. The clinic will cover the fundamental attitude, the overall plan and the fine details of execution required to team race at the highest level. These three elements have been the foundation for success for teams in high school, college and at the international level. The clinic will include classroom, video, and on-the-water sessions. Sailing will take place in Harvard's fleet of FJ dinghies. Come as a skipper, pair or team. A minimum of 6 boats is required for the clinic to proceed. No housing is provided.
This clinic is designed for participants who have team raced before and have a basic understanding of team racing theory and techniques. They should be looking to learn the sophisticated strategies and high level execution required to be successful in collegiate team racing. This is not an introductory clinic.
Skippers can register without a crew, although we recommend that skippers come with a crew. If skippers come alone, skippers must be prepared to split their time between crewing and skippering. Crews must come with a skipper.
Space is limited and will be reserved on a first-come first-served basis. A minimum of 12 sailors (6 boats) is required for the clinic to proceed. The first 20 sailors registered are guaranteed a slot. The clinic may be expanded, to a maximum of 38 sailors providing additional coaches are available.
- Must be of high school age. (14+ years)
- Skippers may sign up alone. Although it is highly recommended that you attend with your crew for a more productive clinic.
- Crew must sign up with their skipper.
- Must be able to pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test.
- Sailor must be at least 14 years old.
- Sailor must be able to pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test prior to the first day of camp.
This is a day clinic only. No accommodations are provided. Housing in the Cambridge/Boston area can be expensive. We recommend booking your housing early. The Internet websites are a good source for deals on hotels.
If the clinic proceeds as scheduled and you cancel, the following cancellation policies apply.
- Registrations cancelled 30 days prior to the clinic start date will receive a refund less a $30 processing fee.
- Registrations cancelled within 30 days of the clinic will not receive a refund.
Drop off / Pickups
- First day: Sailors must first go to the pool for the swim test. An instructor will meet the sailors in the pool lobby. After the test, the sailors must provide their own transportation to the Harvard Sailing Center. Pick up is at the Harvard Sailing Center.
- Subsequent days: Sailors should be dropped off at or drive to the Harvard Sailing Center and be picked up at Harvard Sailing Center.
Bring to Clinic
Please bring the following personal items to make the experience more enjoyable.
- appropriate sailing clothes required (for Spring clinic, wetsuit or drysuit is required)
- a bailer (laundry detergent jug with bottom cut off)
- bathing suit for swim test is required
- a hat
- change of clothes
- a towel
- for the ATR clinic bring notebook and writing implement to take notes
Please bring lunch. Refrigeration is available. Lunchtime is sometime between 12:00 and 2:00 pm.
Valuables may be stored in lockers at the sailing center. You must provide your own padlock.