The Advanced Team Racing Clinic is a clinic designed for the high school, junior sailing or college club team racer who wants to raise his/her game to a higher level. The clinic will cover the fundamental attitude, the overall plan and the fine details of execution required to team race at the highest level. These three elements have been the foundation for success for teams in high school, college and at the international level. The clinic will include classroom, video, and on-the-water sessions. Sailing will take place in Harvard's fleet of 420 dinghies. Come as a skipper, pair or team. A minimum of 6 boats (12 sailors) is required for the clinic to proceed. No housing is provided.
This clinic is designed for participants who have team raced before and have a basic understanding of team racing theory and techniques. They should be looking to learn the sophisticated strategies and high level execution required to be successful in collegiate team racing. This is not an introductory clinic.
Skippers can register without a crew, although we recommend that skippers come with a crew. If skippers come alone, skippers must be prepared to split their time between crewing and skippering. Crews must come with a skipper.
Space is limited and will be reserved on a first-come first-served basis. A minimum of 12 sailors (6 boats) is required for the clinic to proceed. The first 19 sailors registered are guaranteed a slot. The clinic may be expanded, to a maximum of 43 sailors providing additional coaches are available.
This year we are running 2 team racing clinics scheduled for the summer. The first clinic, ATR-2, is a two-day clinic scheduled in July, the weekend before the CJ Buckley Regatta in Rhode Island. The second clinic, ATR-3, is a Tuesday through Thursday, three-day clinic scheduled at the end of August.
Advanced Team Racing - 2 days
- July 27, Saturday
- 8:30-9:30 Swim Test at Blodgett Pool
- 9:30-5:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
- July 28, Sunday
- 8:30-5:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
Fee: $300 per sailor. $260 if registered before June 27.
Clinic Status (pending/will proceed): pending: Registration open
- Bern Noack - Harvard University Sailing Coach
|18||19||ATR - 3||23||24|
Advanced Team Racing - 3 days
- August 20, Tuesday
- 9:00-9:30 Swim Test at Malkin Pool
- 9:30-4:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
- August 21-22, Tuesday-Thursday
- 9:00-4:00 Clinic at Sailing Center
Fee: $450 per sailor. $390 if registered before July 20.
Clinic Status (pending/will proceed): pending, Registration open
- Bern Noack - Harvard University Sailing Coach
- Must be of high school age. (14+ years)
- Skippers may sign up alone. Although it is highly recommended that you attend with your crew for a more productive clinic.
- Crew must sign up with their skipper.
- Must be able to pass the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test.
Registration - Four Requirements
The sailor must be at least 14 years old.
To reserve a spot, full payment must be made. If paying by credit card, please email us so we can send you a link for payment. If paying by check, make the check payable to Crimson Sailing Academy. Mail all materials toCrimson Sailing Academy
P.O. Box 335
Belmont, MA 02478
The clinic registration form must be completed:
Harvard regulations require that all sailors must demonstrate adequate swimming ability by passing the Harvard Recreational Boating Swim Test on the first day of the clinic. The test consists of: Jump or dive into deep water. Surface and swim 100 continuous yards using either front crawl or breaststroke while demonstrating rhythmic breathing. Tread water for 2 minutes.
This is a day clinic only. No accommodations are provided. Housing in the Cambridge/Boston area can be expensive. We recommend booking your housing early. The Internet websites are a good source for deals on hotels.
- Registrations cancelled 30 days prior to the clinic start date will receive a refund less a $30 processing fee.
- Registrations cancelled within 30 days of the clinic will not receive a refund.
Drop off / Pickups
- First day: Sailors must first go to the pool for the swim test. An instructor will meet the sailors in the pool lobby. After the test, the sailors must provide their own transportation to the Harvard Sailing Center. Pick up is at the Harvard Sailing Center.
- Subsequent days: Sailors should be dropped off at or drive to the Harvard Sailing Center and be picked up at Harvard Sailing Center.
Bring to Clinic
Please bring the following personal items to make the experience more enjoyable.
- appropriate sailing clothes required
- a bailer (laundry detergent jug with bottom cut off)
- bathing suit for swim test is required
- a hat
- change of clothes
- a towel
- a water bottle
- a notebook and writing implement to take notes
Please bring lunch. Refrigeration is available. Lunchtime is sometime between 12:00 and 2:00 pm.
Valuables may be stored in lockers at the sailing center. You must provide your own padlock.